St. Hedwig's is Berlin's Roman Catholic Cathedral on Bebelplatz, at the end of the beautiful Unter Den Linden. It was built in the eighteenth century by the Prussian Frederick the Great and the inauguration was in 1773. The cathedral is named after the patron saint of Brandenburg, St Edwig of Silesia. It's famous for its open position in favor of the Jews just before the ascent to power of the Nazis. Bishop Lichtenberg was taken to jail by the Nazis for having prayed for the Jews and was killed in a field, his remains are buried in the cathedral. It completely burned down in 1943, during an aerial bombardment by the Allies, and was rebuilt in the 50s.
The French Church of Friedrichstadt (Franzosische Friedrichstadtkirche) was built in this square, one of the most beautiful in Berlin, 1701-1705. It's the church of the Protestant Huguenots ve fled from France to Berlin. In 1786, as part of the reform of the Gendarmenmarkt, it's impressive tower was opened. The cathedral was badly damaged during World War II and rebuilt in 1977.