The Pavilion Theatre is one of the oldest theaters in Glasgow. It is in the north of the old town, at the end of Buchanan Street and right next to what is now the city's national theater. As there are many theaters and cinemas in the area, the neighborhood was given the nickname of Theatreland. The theater first opened in 1904 as a music hall. Not much has changed in its outward appearance but obviously the sound and the lights have been fully modernized inside. The theater was designed by Bertie Crew and was heavily criticized for being too expensive at the time. It even had an open-air section! Many stars of the 20's performed at the theater, including well-known performers such as Sarah Bernhardt and Charlie Chaplin.