In 1867 the stones of the facade of the Gare du Nord in Paris, were transported in order to construct the Lille-Flanders station. The architect Léonce Reynaud was in charge of it´s construction. Then they built a large, covered hall. The complex was completed in 1890 with materials brought from Paris. More specifically, they came from the Universal Exhibition of 1889. With the Lille 2004 European Capital of Culture event in mind, structures were placed in the hall playing with the colors. This is a beautiful landmark that welcomes travelers in the heart of the City.