It is an enclosure built in ocher-red carved stone, constructed in the 12 century by the Almohads. Formerly it was called "Mehdiya" and it was a sort of fortified convent, where religious soldiers departed to fight in the Holy War against the Christians of Spain. Later with the arrival of the Andalusians in the 17th century it was named "Kasbah Andaluse" until 1883 when the Arabs named it "Kasbah des Oudayas", the name by which he is known today. It is situated north of Rabat on the shores of the Atlantic Ocean and the mouth of the river Bou Regreg. It's like another city in Rabat, with narrow cobbled streets, the houses have few windows and walls are very wide.